- FORMING A PROBLEM SOLVING TEAM :A cross functional team should be establish to scrutinize,analyze,investigate the problem that was found in the process.the selection of qualified team with proactive members is imperative. (i.e expertise with product knowledge,process knowledge,problem solving techniques,analytical thinking,capacity,power to introduce action e.t.c
- DESCRIPTION OF THE PROBLEM :After a cross functional team has been established from various experts,the problem description-problem analysis should then follows ( examine critically the object,concern,location,quantification e.t.c). To solve a problem, it must be a defined precisely. Construct info data base using the following questions: who,what,where,when,how-how ,how big, ,how much ? e.t.c
How did the problem occur? what is the trend ? ,How big is the problem (pareto chart).how many objects / parts are affected (quantity, batches, lots, vehicles e.t.c.
- INTERIM CONTAINMENT ACTION (ICA) IN PLACE : Contain symption immediately to protect the customer (internal and external) .identify action purge and sort at customer in transit & in house (end item and in process,record data)
- DEFINE & VERIFY ROOT CAUSE(S) :Continue with info data base.define the difference.determine changes.Re evaluate problem description.A problem has two distinct root cause paths i.e occur cause and escape path .for the occur cause path,examine why the problem occur on the object/part ? challenge conclusion with why,5x after that,recur root cause by making failure come and go.similarly,for the escape cause path,examine why the defect escape to the customer ,perform the same action as we have done in occur cause path examination e.t.c
- SELECT AND VERIFY CORRECTIVE ACTION(S): Select a solution for both occur cause and escape cause path and a plan for implement it ,the corrective action(s) must be successful (verify) in preventing the problem from reoccuring.
- IMPLEMENTATION OF ACTION & VALIDATE IT: Implementation of the permanent action and the plan for both occur cause and escape cause path identified previously ,monitor the results and adjust the plan as needed e.t.c
- ACTION TO PREVENT RECCURENCE & LESSON LEARNED ACTIVITIES :Identify the system,practices,procedures,and specification standards that allowed the problem to occur .implement an action to prevent reoccurence of that failure from the systemic point of view and applied learned activities i.e which other process do you inform about the problem and what method do you apply in carry such activity out.
- CLOSING OF THE 8D PROCESS :Congratulations to the team for job well done.
Summary : You can think about the process of 8D methodology as a TEST in form like this when finding a solutions to the problem:
- Forming a problem solving team
- Description of the problem
- Interim Containment Action ICA in place
- Define and verify root cause(s)
- Select and verify corrective action(s)
- Implementation of action & validate it
- Action to prevent reccurence & lesson lerned activities
- Closing of the 8D process .
You can see more of our quality management training materials that will add more to your professional experience in the below link: http://www.hermonqualitysolutions.com/training-modules-2/