Brainstorming is a group creativity technique by which efforts are made to find a conclusion for a specific problem by gathering a list of ideas spontaneously contributed by its members. In other words, brainstorming is a situation where a group of people meet to generate new ideas and solutions around a specific domain of interest by removing inhibitions. People are able to think more freely and they suggest as many spontaneous new ideas as possible. All the ideas are noted down and those ideas are not criticized and after brainstorming session the ideas are evaluated. Brainstorming is supposed to be about harnessing the power of thinking outside the box to solve that impossible problem. It’s the magic that helps you find amazing, unique ideas.
What is it
- A technique for generating any list of ideas in a group.
When to use it
- Any time you want to generate ideas from the group on targeting the problem, evaluating causes, selecting solutions, and taking action.
- To create group energy.
How to use it
- You may want to set a time limit for the process. You’ll need a flip chart.
Steps to follow:
- Go around the room, having each person offer one idea on the topic. Do not offer any kind of comment on the idea, negative or positive.
- Keep repeating the above step, getting one idea from each person, until the time is up or the group runs out of ideas. Anyone who is out of ideas can “Pass“
- After all the ideas have been posted, clarify ideas as needed.
- Use brainstorming to develop both lateral and vertical thinking of the group. Lateral thinking provides breath by looking for divergent, dissimilar options(digging several holes at the same time). Vertical thinking provides depth on one option( digging a hole deeper and deeper).
- Follow these steps:
- Organize the lists into categories
- Identify additional categories to include(lateral thinking)
- Identify additional ideas within a category(vertical thinking).
You can see more of our quality management training materials that will add more to your professional experience in the below link: https://www.hermonqualitysolutions.com/training-modules-2/